Move over, Howard Schultz and Bill Gates: Eleven Foster upperclassmen are embarking on rigorous business leadership training as the newest inductees into the University of Washington Foster School of Business’ Young Executives of Color program.
Established in 2006, the mission of the Young Executives of Color (YEOC) program is to cultivate the academic potential of underrepresented high school student leaders in Washington State through college preparation, powerful mentorship, and the development of real life business skills. YEOC was established to increase the number of underrepresented students in the college pipeline and at the University of Washington Foster School of Business.
“[Entrepreneur] Simon T. Bailey said it best: ‘Expand your inner circle to include those who can challenge your thinking and escalate you to unreached heights of success.’ This is exactly what our selected Foster High School students will be doing in the coming months, by being a part of the YEOC program. Learning hands-on experience from some of the top business leaders in the Seattle area, they will get powerful coaching tools that will lead them to a successful career pathway for tomorrow’s contribution to the 21st century workforce.”—Althea Clark, Tukwila School District Director of Strategy and Policy
What is YEOC?
YEOC is a nine-month college pipeline program hosted by the University of Washington Foster School of Business. Students attend sessions on the UW campus one Saturday every month for college preparation, business lectures, professional development, and powerful mentorship.
Benefits of the YEOC Program
- Preparation for college admissions and scholarships
- Exposure to a variety of business options and careers
- Professional development, competitions and lectures
- Chances to win prizes and EY YEOC scholarships for seniors
- Network with professionals from Microsoft, Google, Nike, Amazon, and more
- Mentorship from an upperclassman student at the UW Foster School of Business
- A supportive network of highly ambitious high school students from across the state
Congratulations to Foster’s inductees in the YEOC program:
- Dara Araya, junior
- Jesus Alfaro, senior
- Sara Arevalo Rivas, senior
- D’arion Little, junior
- Devaughn Little, junior
- Yaneth Garcia, senior
- Adal Hernandez Lopez, junior
- Simran Kaur, senior
- Juan Ramirez Santiago, senior
- Kristina Te, junior
- Nhi Thai, junior