AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a program that helps students both envision themselves as college-going and execute a plan to make that a reality. AVID students visit college campuses, explore career fields, fill out application and scholarship forms with support, and stay on track academically. In Tukwila, students (many of them minorities and the first in their family to attend college) begin in middle school, and the program in recent years has had an almost 100-percent success rate for Foster grads enrolling in post-secondary education. AVID grads in the Class of 2017 are no exception. Here are the numbers:
- 22 Graduates
- 8 different college campuses who will welcome these grads in the fall
- A combined total of 88 years of taking the AVID elective
- 16 College Bound Scholarships totaling $641,892 (4 years of tuition and fees)
- 7 Washington State Opportunity Scholarships totaling $157,500 for those pursuing STEM and Healthcare degrees
- 6 Seamar Scholarships worth $6,000
- A grand total of more than $820,000 in scholarships!