Early Release Wednesday & After-School
Beginning in the 2015-16 school year, students will be released early from school on several Wednesdays so that teachers can collaborate and train (this is a switch from previous years, when schools would start late on teacher-training Wednesdays). After much outreach and surveying, it became apparent that some families—especially those with working parents and elementary-aged students—need child-care options on these days. Thanks to the commitment of our community partners, we have several fun and educational activities available each Early Release Wednesday:
- Tukwila Community Center after-school program
- Tukwila Pool open swim
- KCLS Foster Library Wednesday activities
Please note: The Tukwila School District will not be overseeing the after-school activities at the Tukwila Community Center, Tukwila Pool, or KCLS Foster Library. No school staff or school supervision will be available at those locations.
Frequently asked questions
- What about transportation to after-school activities? The Tukwila School District will be able to provide transportation to the Tukwila Community Center’s after-school program (it is the parents’/guardians’ responsibility to pick their children up from that location). Families should work with their school’s main office to turn in the required bus-pass note for community-center drop off on Early Release Wednesdays. For the library and pool activities, students can walk to these centrally located locations.
- How will schools’ after-school program and sports/clubs work? The elementary REACH program will continue unimpeded on Early Release Wednesdays. REACH will begin after the early-release bell and continue through the usual release time. Coaches and club advisers will notify their students if there is a change in schedule on Early Release Wednesdays. In general, these activities will begin at the normal after-school time. Student participants are welcome at the KCLS Foster Library and Tukwila Pool to span the time between when school releases and their activity begins.
- Can I see the survey results? Yes: Here is an overview of the community engagement activities and results.
- 12424 42nd Ave. S., Tukwila
- (206) 768-2822
In addition to regular after-school child care throughout the work week, the Tukwila Community Center will offer child care specifically for families who need help on early-release days only. The cost is $10 per day (scholarships available). Call the community center’s main phone number for more information. The Tukwila School District offers transportation to the Tukwila Community Center’s after-school program.
- 4414 S. 144th St., Tukwila (between Foster High and Showalter Middle)
No school? Early release? Come to the pool! The Tukwila Pool will host special $2 open-swim sessions from 1-3 p.m. during every Early Release Wednesday and during many holidays.
- 4060 S. 144th St., Tukwila (just west of Foster High)
KCLS Foster Library has activities (linked to literacy and numeracy) for all ages and interests on Early Release Wednesdays! The library is also open, as usual, for reading, researching, checking out books, and using computers.