How does the budget process work?
The Tukwila School District superintendent, working with the Deputy Superintendent and Controller, prepares an operating budget prior to the beginning of each school year which must be approved by the School Board and submitted to the state Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) before August 31. OSPI ensures that we follow uniform guidelines and laws for budgeting, accounting, and financial reporting.
The majority of the district’s operations budget is provided by the state government on a per-pupil basis. The federal government also provides funding for specific programs, such as special education and free/reduced-price meal services. The operations budget is used to fund all day-to-day programs and expenses, such as salaries, textbooks, utilities, transportation, and materials. Because state and federal dollars do not fully cover the costs of running school, the Tukwila School District also relies on a maintenance and operations (M&O) levy, approved every four years by local voters, to bridge the funding gap.The M&O levy currenty provides for about 20 percent of the operations budget.
Thinking creatively together
- Please email Deputy Superintendent Judith Berry if you have ideas for new revenue sources, ways to stretch our operational dollars, or suggestions for 2016-17 budget priorities.
2016-17 budget process and timeline
- January: Initial enrollment projections
- January-March: Review of programs
- January 11: State Legislature convenes
- February: Meet with principals and program administrators to review needs
- March-April: Finalize revenue and expenditure estimates
- March 10: Last day of regular legislative session
- March 29: End of legislative session (after special session)
- May 15: By state law, school districts must issue Reduction in Force (RIF) notices to certificated staff members who may not have a contract the following year.
- June: Introduction of recommended budget to school board
- July: Public Hearing for proposed budget
- July: School board adoption of the district budget