Early Learning: Preschool & Kindergarten
In fall 2019, the Tukwila School District will open a new Birth to Kindergarten Center to focus on the development and education of our earliest learners! More information
The Tukwila School District provides two comprehensive preschool programs for low-income children and their families: the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP) and Head Start. The goal of both programs is to help ensure that children enter kindergarten ready to succeed, and they include preschool, family support, and child health/nutrition coordination.
- ECEAP is a state-funded program that serves 3- and 4-year-olds (as of August 31 of the school year) in eligible families. This program is currently offered at Cascade View Elementary and Thorndyke Elementary.
- Head Start is a federally funded program that serves 3- and 4-year-olds (as of August 31 of the school year) in eligible families. This program is currently offered at Thorndyke Elementary.
For more information, contact Family Support Specialists:
- Washington State Department of Early Learning
- Puget Sound Educational Services District: ECEAP
- The Federal Office of Head Start
Do you think your infant, toddler, or preschooler may have a developmental delay? You may be eligible for free services. Contact Jane DeMello-Long at 206-901-8033, to schedule a Child Find appointment.
The Tukwila School District provides free full-day kindergarten for all students beginning who are age 5 by August 31 of the school year. Incoming kindergartners in Washington state participate in WaKIDS in September, which allows us to plan for a smooth transition for children and a successful, connected start to the K-12 experience for families.
Birth-to-Kindergarten Early Learning Center
Tukwila residents approved a Birth-to-Kindergarten Center in the 2016 bond. When completed in 2019, this center will house all of the district’s kindergarten classes as well as expanded preschool opportunities for our families. The center will also support early childhood parent education programs and resources.