Race and Equity news and opportunities
Our diversity is our strength and our asset.
Race and equity is a top priority for the Tukwila School District. We are in the process of creating a comprehensive race-and-equity plan, with help from a $20,000 grant to work with nationally renowned experts to infuse cultural competency and pedagogy into all of our classrooms. We need our curriculum to reflect the backgrounds of our students. We need every student to be treated with the same dignity and respect and to have access to the same opportunities. We need to have staff and community conversations, which may be messy, about the unique cultural lense and bias that we each bring to everything we do.
This page will house the race-and-equity plan and policy once they are finalized. It will also be a bulletin of opportunities to learn more and be a part of the process.
Upcoming training and opportunities
- No New Jim Crow is organizing a retreat on the Cultural Roots of Restorative Justice on Oct. 8 and 9 at the Tukwila Community Center. World renowned practitioners will give keynotes and lead workshops. Attendees will explore different cultural practices of restorative justice and develop ones that are right for their community. Apply online.
- No New Jim Crow is offering Thursday evening workshops on restorative justice/peacemaking circles in August at the KCLS Foster Library from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Please come to one or more of these workshops, which offer powerful insights and tools for supporting our children and families.
- PSESD Coaching & Leading for Racial Equity Institute: Nov. 1, 2016; Dec. 13, 2016; and Feb. 16, 2017 (three-part series).
- Tukwila School District Team (Superintendent, teachers, students) presentation to Regional Race & Equity Collective Nov. 2016
Presentation: “A Look Back, a Look Ahead – Race and Equity Policy and Beyond” November 2016
- The Tukwila School District Leadership Team met for a two-day workshop on race-and-equity issues Aug. 8 and 9, 2016. Materials from workshop:
- The Tukwila School District Leadership Team met on the afternoon of September 12 for a training that continues the work on race-and-equity issues.
- Race & Equity Team Meeting Sept. 19, 2016
- Racial Equity Analysis Tool – Facilitator’s Guide
(Seattle Public Schools)
- Racial Equity Slam Poetry (YouTube)
Resources from the district’s 2015 Intercultural Speakers Series
- “How All Schools Can Organize Multicultural Partnerships to Involve All Families” by Dr. Joyce Epstein. PRESENTATION
- “Difference or Disability? The Complexity of Meeting the Needs of All Students” by Dr. Ronald Cunningham. PRESENTATION
- “Disproportionality in Discipline” by Daudi Abe. VIDEO
- “Race and Social Justice” by Dr. Michael Eric Dyson. VIDEO and PICTURES