Rights & Responsibilities Handbook
Dear Tukwila students and families,
Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! In the months ahead, please keep this Rights and Responsibility Handbook nearby. The information inside will help you understand our mutual obligation—as students, parents, and staff members—to act with respect and show up each day ready to learn. The handbook outlines your rights on the school campus, as well as the consequences of misconduct. Overall, we want to make sure that school is a safe, positive, and fair place for every student.
We require you to return the signature form on the next page because you are the most valuable partner in your child’s school success. We are in this together. In addition to understanding your basic rights and responsibilities, here are some of the most important ways you can support your child during the school year:
- Make sure your student is at school, on time, every day unless there is an important reason not to be there, such as an illness.
- Make sure schools have your correct contact information. Every time you get a new phone number, address, or email address, you need to update your school’s main office right away. This is critical for school events and updates as well as emergencies.
- Connect with your student’s teacher(s). Share information about your child’s interests and talents and any information about your family that might be important. You have the right to check in regularly and talk with the teacher about any questions or concerns you have.
- Encourage a love of learning in your home. Talk with your child about what’s happening in class, and ask the teacher for resources if your child needs assistance with homework that you cannot provide (there are many good resources in this community).
- Remember: You are a welcome and valuable partner. You get to make decisions about what happens at your school and in the district. Please take advantage of opportunities for involvement, and let us know if we are not offering enough opportunities or the right types of opportunities. Call me directly at 425-901-8006.
Thank you for your continued partnership. We have the same goal: To make sure your child is successful! If you need any help understanding this handbook, don’t hesitate to ask at your school’s main office.
Dr. Nancy Coogan, Superintendent